¤  PaulzyBlog
¤  Photillium Media Gallery
¤  .netBoard! Forum Index
¤  View posts since last visit
¤  View your posts
¤  View unanswered posts
.netBoard!

Home|Blog|Gallery
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metal Gear: Solid (bleem!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    .netBoard! Forum Index -> Strategy / Simulation View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal Gear: Solid (bleem!)
nb_admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Metal Gear: Solid (bleem!) Reply with quote

When the Sony PlayStation (PS1) first came I was really excited and all. I first saw it at a Good Guys in Westwood. I played some with a Gecko as the hero. But I noticed that the graphics were "jaggy", anti-aliasing (the technolgy that makes graphics look smoother) was non-existent. When the edges of the graphic forms jaggy edges this makes it hard to look at the screen for too long. If your TV had an DNR (dynamic noise reduction) setting you could enable it and have the edges softened out to make it look smoother.

But, it didn't stop the PS1 from becoming a favorite over Nintendo's SNES or N64. But I bought a Sega Dreamcast, becuase it was the only 128-bit system with awsome potential. It even allowed developement of games to be really easy by using the Windows CE enviroment. In short, this made it possible to a lot of things. Like play games from other consoles. Metal Gear was an extremely popular game for the Playstation that it was followed up by Meatal Gear: Solid, and then Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty for the PlayStation 2 (PS2).

But for owners of the Dreamcast we got to expereince this game is an new way -- better visual presentaion. The PS1 was plagued with hardware limitations - the graphics often looked grainey or choppy. But that never stopped it from being popular. The guys at bleem! created a way to play this game on the Dreamcast so it could take advantage of the Dreamcasts awesome imaging capibitlities: texture filtering and aniti-aliasing -- to name a couple. This made the game look smoother and dynamically better then the original. See for yourself.

However, like many players who bought the PS2, we thought the graphics of earlier PS1 games would look better on the newer system. Wrong. Sony did not allow the new PS2 to do anything to alter the way older PS1 games looked on the new system. They look the same on the PS2 as they did on the PS1. For me this was disappointing, but at least it only to serve to justified my purchase of the bleemcast and Metal Gear Solid.

.netBoard Administration

Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nb_admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Great story and action, but... Reply with quote

When I play games I used to start on HARD mode to get the most out of the game and to test my ability to play under limited conditions. In the early days of games EASY, MEDIUM, and HARD were modes that actually lived up to their descriptions. But, in the 90's game developers alterted the definition of EASY, NORMAL, and HARD/DIFFICULT. It was believed that players thought EASY was too easy, and that HARD wasn't enough.

Today some games on EASY are close to HARD, and HARD is close to DIFFICULT. SO playing this game on Normal Mode seems HARD. Even in EASY your life bar is low (smaller) compared to the enemies you have to fight. This makes it to difficult to play this game on what they call normal mode. Also, causes you to spend more time than nessecary to defeat an enemy.

But to be fair, I really fair I never got far enough under EASY to see if the eenemy life bar is equal or greater than Snakes.

Your character is supposed to be a professional, and has been such since the first game. So why is he so weak compared to these enemies? It makes no sense. It does allow you to be more strategic, but at the same time it makes the game more work than nessecary. I like *playing* games not *working* at them. Also, the bleemcast version doesn't allow you to save the controller configuartion, however. This means that changing some settings (specfically the controller type, A,B, or C) in the Options menu does nothing. Also, you have just remember which PS button coorespond to the DC controller.

MGS is a very good game, that offers a lot of real world facts to support the story. The plot was very well done, even if some of the images appear doubled -- meaning they are some areas where the images seem to ovcerlap creating a double-image or butterfly effect. But it desn't hurt the game at all.

.netBoard Administration

Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    .netBoard! Forum Index -> Strategy / Simulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: