¤  PaulzyBlog
¤  Photillium Media Gallery
¤  .netBoard! Forum Index
¤  View posts since last visit
¤  View your posts
¤  View unanswered posts
.netBoard!

Home|Blog|Gallery
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreamcast rebooting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    .netBoard! Forum Index -> Open Discussion for Dreamcast View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreamcast rebooting
paulzy

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Dreamcast rebooting Reply with quote

Twice already my Dreamcast just rebooted itself. It did this twice while I was playing Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 - PAL/e version. I have to use my GameShark CDX to boot the PAL/e PSOv2 disc in order to play it and Shenmue 2 UK.

I don't know why it would do this. I think I may have a clue, though. I did keep my Dreamcast on for quite awhile last week, and earlier this week. Could this be a problem? Hmmm. I'll research it and see what I come up with. I think it may also be a dirty laser, as this is a second hand Dreamcast I got eBay from another user. It was apart a a bundle when I bought PowerStone. It also came with two VMUs (1 regular and 1 4X), two controllers (1 regular, and 1 Nexus MaxiPad - ugly and clunky). the PowerStone was a burnt copy of the original. But I didn;t mind since I get a second Dreamcast and VMUs and co trollsers in the deal.

The Dreamcast is used, like mine. He had it longer, so it might be near it life's end. I've played over 267 hours of PSO on it. So we'll see.

smile.....anyway!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
paulzy

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Here is my research reults Reply with quote

I figured it was a dirty lense. This was located on another website. I'm re-posting it here without thier permission, but will give the URL, since I had a problem reaching the site on the first attempt. It may have just been packet loss error during trasmission, who knows.

The URLs:
DC Shooters - http://www.dcshooters.co.uk/sega/dc/fix.php
CPC - http://www.cpc.co.uk/

The re-posted info:

FIXING YOUR DC

Dreamcast Rebooting Problem

Many people have reported a problem with their Dreamcast?s where the machine suddenly reboots at random and sometimes refuses to read discs. This can obviously get really annoying.

This seems to be a common issue with regards to the PAL version though it may also affect Dreamcast?s from other regions. I personally have owned a Japanese machine for 5 years and it has never this problem.

The following is a few solutions for making this problem go away. Luckily these are not too invasive to your DC. I have performed the routine on a number of machines and it appeared to cure the problem.

Before resorting to taking your machine apart try these 2 simple things. It is also assumed that you know how to take your Dreamcast apart.

Clean the Laser

When the DC can not read it?s media properly and corrupted data gets into RAM a reboot can occur. First off make sure the disc you are using is not badly scratched or has grime on it. Sometimes if grime builds up too much the DC will refuse to boot the game. If it is one of the early games then it?s possible you have a faulty GDROM as there was some in circulation at the time of the machines launch in the PAL territories.

If the disc looks good then clean the laser as dust builds up on it over time.

The easiest way would be with a cotton bud and to carefully rub the end over the lasers eye. This should remove any dust in there. Alternately you could use a CD lens cleaner CPC (Part No AV10577 ?2.85) or and some cloth and then very gently rub over with your finger.

Operating Position

If you?re running your DC on the floor with a chunky carpet then try elevating it. The fan at the side of the unit may be struggling to ventilate the inside properly. Giving it enough height so the fan is not covered up will help.

Likewise if it is running next to a heat source.

Power Supply Clean

This likely the main cause of your problem. As it gets warm in your DC some of the plastic sockets on the PSU board which holds the contacts of the PSU to the motherboard get loose and results in bad connections. In this situation a power cut occurs and triggers the reset.
Solution

Remove all the cables and modem and take your DC apart.

Next you need to remove the PSU board. This is the light brown board located to the left.

There are 2 screws which hold it in place and a set of clips down the left hand side. There is also a wire which clips into a small socket to the top.

Once loose gently ease the board. It will still be connected to the mother board through 6 metal prongs in a white socket located to the front of the unit. Only a small amount of force is required.

Once the board is completely out you will see a thin piece of clear plastic. You should not have to remove it but if you do it?s vital it goes back.

The white socket on the PSU board where the 6 prongs come through must be cleaned. The cleaner the better. Use something like WD40 for good results. Give the 6 prongs a clean too.

Reseat the PSU board and make sure there is good contact between the socket and the prongs. Screw, clip and attach the cable back in securing the PSU board. Give the whole area a blow out to remove any other dirt that has built up over time particularly the PSU board. If you have a can of air duster then this will do the job great.

Reassemble.

This should hopefully cure your rebooting problem. This is not a permanent fix but it should last you a good year or two depending on how much you use your DC. If the problem resurfaces then perform the same routine.

Power Supply Fuse

This I?ve been told by technical people in that this should not cause any problems. In this particular instance I?ve seen it do so.

Replace the fuse on the power supply board with another 2Amp fuse.

[OTHER DREAMCAST ISSUES]

Loss of Control / Port Dead

Another problem that can occur with your DC is the sudden failure of a controller. This is generally down to the controller port itself. The solder on the 2 joints either side of the actual port connector that connects to the board with the other ports seems to be weak. Over time as pads are pushed in and out a dry joint breaks the contact to the board. This is a simple repair providing you have a good soldering iron are relatively good at soldering.

VMU ?Screams?

If your VMU beeps for a second or so rather loud when you power up your machine it will mean that the batteries inside the VMU are dead.

These are 2x CR2032 coin cell batteries 3V (CMOS batteries) and are located underneath a small panel on the back of the unit. You need to replace these in pairs. They can be bought easily from any hardware shop or CPC .(Part No.BT00878 approx ?2 for 5)

smile.....anyway!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
paulzy

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: A-HA!! The TRUE culprit!! Reply with quote

It seems it was NOT the lense at all. I thought it may be the disc. For the most of Saturday I thought I could not play PSO anymore because the disc was bad. Then I figured it was the 2nd hand Dreamcast that I got that was nearing it's life end. But, I put in E.G.G. and played it for about 30 minutes with no reboot. So I figured it WAS the PSOv2 PAL/e disc.

I was bummed. Until, I got to thinking that everytime the reboot occured it was when I was playing the "Soul of a Blacksmith" download quest. It always rebooted after 15-16 minutes of playing time. So I thougth it may have been a bad download. So I deleted all the files off the VMU and re-downlaoed them again an hour ago. Then I thought it may have also been the port or the controller the VMU was in. I recalled never playing a quest from a VMU in that controller; then I checked and I did, or so I think. At any rate, I put the VMU in the bottom VMU slot of the same controller I use as my character file, and guess what?

No reboot. I even went online for 20 minutes with no reboot. So I it was either the file, controller port B, or just the controller itself that was causing the reboot to occur. The controller, by the way, is the black third party Performance controller that I always was ugly. It now just has the GameShark CDX VMU unit in the bottom VMU slot.

Now Ive been playing the quest for over 50 minutes with no reboot or any issues. NOW I can finally get that GOD HAND.

And here I thought I was going to get another copy the PAL/e disc and start all over again.

Happy days again!

smile.....anyway!
paulzy

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Poop! Reply with quote

POOP!

It WAS the disc after all. It booted when I was playing last week. I looked at it a couple of days ago, and it is scratched. But, i knew this when i got it, because it is a used disc I got off eBay from a UK guy. I played online for about an hour with no reboot; so it's seems random. But it's annoying offline, since the game only saves when you quit. Not like online where it saves everytime you access the system to change something in your game file, like buying/selling from the shops, check your bank, or go into area portals.

POOP! again!

smile.....anyway!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    .netBoard! Forum Index -> Open Discussion for Dreamcast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: