¤  PaulzyBlog
¤  Photillium Media Gallery
¤  .netBoard! Forum Index
¤  View posts since last visit
¤  View your posts
¤  View unanswered posts
.netBoard!

Home|Blog|Gallery
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Dreamcast is making noises..happier times live on and on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    .netBoard! Forum Index -> Open Discussion for Dreamcast View previous topic :: View next topic  
My Dreamcast is making noises..happier times live on and on
paulzy

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: My Dreamcast is making noises..happier times live on and on Reply with quote

Those noises are sounds of Happy-Happy-Funtime!

Back in 2001 a small company decided to make the popular games of PlayStation playable on the Dreamcast, using the Dreamcast's superior texture filtering technology. The differences are like night and day. Look at the image supplied by bleem on it's disc:

bleemcast! for Metal Gear Solid was tecnological achievement. However, Sony saw it differently. The company saw it as copyright infringment; by allowing Dreamcast users to play PlayStation games, meant they would not have to buy the Sony PlayStation and Sony would therefore lose money. But this story is five years old.

Why I am writing about it now? Well, the PS2 made a huge crash onto the console market, it was partly responsible for the Dreamcast demise -- but that soley rests on Sega of America's head. Anyway, with the Sony Playstation 2 out it was assumed by many that the older PS1 games would look visually stunning on the new console, hmph! that was not the case. Perhaps maybe newer games but not classics like Metal Gear Solid. See for yourself, I took these pics today. I bought a PS1 memory card (0.29c on Amazon.com) to play MGS on the PS2 (not really caring to replay over 7 hours of the game), only to find out that the quality is STILL better on the Dreamcast! Look:

Dreamcast Image against the PlayStation 2 Image

The PlayStation 2 images are STILL grainy and pixelated wheras the game played using Dreamcast bleem! is clean and smooth..and you can actually see texture and model details. But bleem! is gone, thanks in full to Sony. The only games that were released before Sony put the kaibosh on bleem! were Tekken 3 and Gran Turismo 2 along with Metal Gear Solid. The only thing with the bleem! was that you needed to use a whole VMU for the bleemcast data. I can't recall if was PER GAME or just bleemcast games in general. The site is down, but before the domain (www.bleem.com) went off into the cyberspace graveyard they had this mural up:

(click picture for full size image)

To bad that great ideas are trampled by greedy corporations only protecting thier fat greasy pocket. Welcome to America.

smile.....anyway!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    .netBoard! Forum Index -> Open Discussion for Dreamcast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: